Last Updated: February 2022
Virginia’s Legislation Regarding Data Privacy
Back in January of 2020, a bill regarding the sale of personal data in Virginia (SB 641) proposed a requirement on data sellers to implement suitable security measures on personal data protection and grant certain privacy requests made by clients, among other things. Like most states, this new privacy-related bill has been put into motion after the EU and California recently enacted their own strong privacy bills.
However, the security and management of your privacy won’t need to be an issue for you when you do business with Virginia Professional Services LLC. We will never sell the personal information of our users or clients to marketing firms. The data we do need to share to third parties is strictly limited to the purpose of providing you the best possible service and fulfilling legal obligations.
Children Under Thirteen Years
Our Services are not intended for use by children under the age of 13, and we do not knowingly collect personal information from children under 13.
This site is intended for use in the United States of America. We attempt to protect the personal information of all users of our site and we attempt to comply with local data protection laws to the extent they apply to our Services, but our site is targeted to United States citizens and our policies are directed at compliance with those laws.
The Different Ways We Collect Your Information
We collect certain user and client data in order to provide top-level Virginia registered agent and business filing service. Below, we’ve provided details on how we may gather your information when we interact with you on our website or through our services.
- Related Entities: We may collect information about you from another party. For example, if you are a member or manager of a Virginia limited liability company formed through our website, we may be given information about you in order to complete the formation.
- Service Providers: We may collect information about you from our service providers. Service providers are entities that we have contracted with to provide us with services to help fulfill our business needs.
- Business Partners and Affiliates: We may collect information about you from our business partners and affiliates. For example, we may receive information that you are interested in a Service that we offer.
- Publicly Available Information: We may collect information related to you from publicly available sources of information, including government records. For example, if you hire us to register your foreign LLC in Virginia, we may collect information about whether your legal entity is in good standing with a certain State.
The Different Ways We Use Your Information
The main reason we gather your information is to improve and personalize your client experience when using varegisteredagent.com. We may also use the information in the following ways:
- Provide Services to you: We collect information to send you email or postal mail, perform tasks required to complete a purchase transaction, provide customer support, or provide other types of customer relationship management and fulfillment. We may also use your information to optimize or improve our Services and operations, for example training and quality assurance.
- Fulfill legal and compliance obligations: We collect information in order to fulfill our legal obligations. Examples of this may include satisfying regulatory screening requirements in connection with entity formations, responding to subpoenas and other legal requests for information, and maintaining records as required in our role as a registered agent in Virginia. We may also collect information for the purpose of detecting fraud or other suspicious activity.
- Analytics: We collect information for use in performing various types of analytics. For example, we use information to analyze how visitors interact with our website, where visitors to our website arrive from and exit to, pages visited, links clicked, text entered and mouse movements to understand site usage, to detect fraud and potential threats and improve our services.
Cookies and Other Tracing Technologies
- Cookies: Our website uses “cookies” in order to personalize your individual experience with us. A cookie is a text file that is placed on your device by a web server. Cookies are uniquely assigned to you, and can only be read by a web server in the domain that issued the cookie to you.
If you register an account with us, a cookie allows us to recall your specific information on subsequent visits. This facilitates the process of recalling your personal information so that when you return to our website, the information you previously provided can be easily retrieved.
Most web browsers automatically accept cookies, but you can typically modify your browser settings to decline cookies if you want to. If you choose not to allow cookies, this may impact your ability to log into your account or experience the full interactive features of our Services.
- Web Beacons: We also employ a technology called web beacons or “clear gifs” that help us track referrals from our partners and affiliates and better manage content on our website. Clear gifs are tiny graphics with a unique identifier, similar in function to cookies, and are used to track online movements of web users.
How (and With Whom) We Share Your Information
- Service Providers: We may share personal information with agents, affiliates, partners or other third parties that perform functions on our behalf, such as analytics, credit card processing, etc. These entities have access to the personal information needed to perform their functions and are obligated to maintain the confidentiality and security of that personal information. Service providers are not authorized to use the information we share with them for any purpose other than providing services to us or to you.
- Required by Law: We may disclose information as required by law, such as in response to a subpoena, a lawful request by a public authority, including to meet national security or law enforcement requirements, or similar legal process, and when we believe in good faith that disclosure is necessary to protect our rights, protect your safety or the safety of others, investigate fraud, or respond to a legal request.
Types of Information We Collect
We may collect information that fits in the following categories:
- Identifying Information: This category includes information such as name, address, telephone number, email address, banking information, credit card and debit card number, social security number, Federal Tax Identification number, account numbers, user name, Internet Protocol address (“IP address”) and other online identifiers.
- Commercial Information: This category includes information such as legal entity name, business entity or filing, registered agent, officers, directors, managers or members of an entity, communications contact, other business related information, Services purchased, and other purchasing or consuming histories or tendencies.
- Internet Information: This category includes information such as your internet browser, browsing history on our website, search history on our website, information about the device you are using to access our website, and information regarding your interaction with our website or advertisements. We may also collect information about visitors to our website such as browser settings, operating systems, referring/exit pages and clickstream data.
- Audio Information: If you interact with our customer service personnel, we may record the phone call or retain the email string for quality assurance purposes.
How We Keep Your Information Secure
Our main priorities at Virginia Professional Services LLC include the security and protection of the sensitive information belonging to our users and clients.
In general, personal information collected by the site is stored in operating environments that are not available to the public, and our security procedures mean that we may occasionally request proof of identity before we disclose your personal information to you. In certain telephone and in person transactions, we may ask for certain client identifiers or other information to verify your identity before conducting the transactions you have requested.
Please understand that while we try our best to safeguard your personal information once we receive it, no transmission of data over the Internet or any other public network can be guaranteed to be 100% secure.
We periodically review our security procedures to consider appropriate technology and methods to secure information.
How Long We Retain Your Information
We will retain your information for as long as needed to provide you Services, and as necessary to comply with our legal obligations, resolve disputes, and enforce our agreements. We may maintain some or all of this information in our archives even after it has been removed from the site.
We do not, and will not, sell your information to third parties. California law allows California residents to submit a verifiable request for us to provide them with certain information including:
- specific pieces and categories of personal information that we have collected about them;
- the categories of sources for that information;
- the business or commercial purposes for collecting their information; and
- the categories of third parties with which their information is shared.
California residents also have the right to submit a request for deletion of their information under certain circumstances. This is not an absolute right, and we may decline to delete information when retention is allowed by law, for example, when we have an on-going business relationship with the person, we have a continued need to use the information, or we need to retain the information in order to comply with a legal obligation.
If you exercise your rights under the California Consumer Privacy Act of 2018, we will not provide discriminatory treatment to you.
If you would like to submit a request about your data, or obtain additional information, you may do so by emailing email@example.com or by calling our phone number at 1-804-290-4330.
After you submit the request, you will be asked to verify your email address and you may also be asked to provide additional information in order to verify your identity. We will attempt to verify your identity by asking for information that matches the information that we have previously collected about you. Where this is not possible, we may request that you submit additional documentation for verification. Please note that, in accordance with California law, we will not be able to satisfy your request until we have verified your identity.
You may designate an authorized agent to make a request on your behalf. In order to designate an authorized agent to make a request, you must provide us with your written permission for the agent to make the request on your behalf, or provide us with a signed power of attorney. We will also need to verify valid government issued identification for both you and the agent.
Notice to Non U.S. Users
By requesting our Services, you consent to the transfer of information to countries outside of your country of residence, including the United States, which may have different data protection rules than those of your country.
How to Contact Us
The Virginia Professional Services LLC Privacy Team
Virginia Registered Agent Services
Located in the capital of Virginia, we can capably act as your registered agent today